Pages

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Europe's hidden gem


As crazy as it is for me to write this, this past weekend was my last trip of abroad... And Croatia could not have been a more perfect place.
We arrived in Croatia after a very long 12 hour bus ride around 9AM.   By the time we were settled, the sun was shining and we knew exactly where we wanted to be.  So we ate a quick breakfast, put our bathing suits on, and headed straight for the beach! We all got lounge chairs and relaxed by the beach for practically the entire day; and burning to a crisp without fail...sorry ima. Lunch was at a local place on the beach where the food and drinks were delicious! That night we went to a pub crawl around 8:00 and embarrassingly enough we were back in our rooms at 10:30, not that I minded because I wasn’t feeling too hot. We all felt pretty lame, but it was a tiring day and we had lots planned for the rest of the weekend.
Saturday morning we signed up for an island hopping tour. We got on the boat around 11:00AM and spent the day cruising along the gorgeous blue water to two different islands, Brac and Solta. We got a few hours at each of the islands to lay out, relax, and enjoy the beauty of Croatia and the 80 degree weather. In between the Islands we hung out on the boat, drinking wine (boxed, of course– as classy as it gets) listening to music, and eating lunch. Saturday night we were all exhausted so we all went for a quick dinner but came back to the rooms early. The sun completely wore us out and we knew that our 6AM alarm would be going off before we knew it!
We had to leave Split at 6:45AM on Sunday and waking up was definitely not enjoyable.  However little did we know, it would be SO worth it. We were headed to the beautiful waterfalls in Krka, Croatia. We got to the national park around 8:30 and had until 11:30 to explore the gorgeous park. I had been dying to swim in the waterfall but given the overcast skies, many of my friends decided to take their bathing suits off and not go in.  When has the ever stopped me? I went skydiving alone so this was nothing.  Once my friend Julie saw I wasn’t messing around, she quickly joined me and we ventured into the freezing water but loved every minute of it.  Next thing I knew everyone was in the water with us! I may be crazy, but at least I’m fun (props to my AXO fam for that one :D).  After spending lots of time at the waterfall it was time to head back to Florence.  
This was one of my favorite weekends, and as I said before, the perfect way to end my time abroad. The sights and views I saw were breathtaking and I now know why it’s considered Europe’s hidden jem; great vacation spot and suuuper cheap! 
I still have a ton of things to update you all on but I think they’re gonna have to wait until after finals! Time is just flying by!

No comments:

Post a Comment