Pages

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Catch Ya on the Flip Side

I’m still getting in the swing of this blog thing. But jess was right, its getting easier the more I play with it. 
Yesterday and today were pretty standard: running errands, picking up last minute things, and of course, packing. Jess came over to say bye before she left for Florida yesterday and brought my coffee from the Cheese Store. Gosh it was so good, I forgot how much I’m going to miss their coffee. 
I also finally found out where I’m living and who I’m living with. I thought it would be a great experience to do random housing and not sign up to live with anyone.  After I submitted the forms I questioned whether or not I was pushing my luck with the whole study-abroad-be-spontaneous thing. When I got the housing e-mail I saw that I’m actually living with one of my best friends from freshman year, Hannah. We get along really well so I’m happy that we were put together and not with someone from school that I don’t get along with or have nothing in common with.  I tried to look up my other roommates on facebook (surprised?) but couldn’t find some of them. Hopefully they’ll have better luck finding me!
This morning my mom and I faced the hard reality that it was time to tackle the task of officially packing all my stuff into the 2 suitcases and carryon that I’m allowed to bring with me. We were both shocked to find that the problem wasn’t fitting everything in the suitcases but rather making sure they both weighed under 50 pounds. It took us a few attempts to transfer everything into different suitcases and figuring out what was so heavy. And after me explaining to my mom multiple times that there is no way I’m not going to not bring anything I packed, we were able to get my suitcases to 48 pounds and 49 pounds. Cutting it a little close but I’m still pretending I’m okay with the fact that it’s all thats allowed. Normally when I go to school I bring 2 huge camp duffles, both completely filled with things I need. Needless to say, I’m a little out of my element. And I haven’t even left yet!

(My next four months all packed in 2 suitcases, a carryon, and my 'pocketbook')

After we tackled packing everything, my mom and I decided to reward ourselves with getting our nails done.  I'll probably be doing my nails myself when I'm in Florence (not that I mind) so I made it a point to enjoy this mani/pedi extra. Okay Mallory, really, sound a little more stuck up. This needs to stop.  Goodbye land of $7 manis and $15 pedis (and $20 if you get both!). I will surely miss you. 
Well, thats pretty much it– my last post in America. I can’t believe I leave tomorrow (weather permitting, of course)!  It WOULD snow the day before I leave. But hopefully my flight won’t be delayed, or worse cancelled. I’ve been waiting for this day to come for over a year and it’s finally here!
I will seriously miss everyone so much! Please don’t hesitate to email me, facebook me, skype me or however else you want to stay in contact. I’m super nervous, but I know that this is going to be the most incredible experience.
Peace out, America, you’ll be hearing from me soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment