Pages

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

It's Only the Beginning

Greetings from Firenze! The past few days have been preeettty overwhelming, to say the least. But I’ll do my best to report. 
The flight here was not bad, and mad props to the travel agency for getting me aisle seating on both flights!  I met a few girls who are doing the same program as me and we were seated close so it was nice to make some friends off the bat. The 7 hour flight to Frankfurt was long but thankfully the seat next to me was empty so I was able to stretch out a bit. I couldn’t fall asleep so by the time we got to Frankfurt I was a bit of a zombie.  We then had a 2 hour layover there which turned into 3 because the plane was delayed. The flight was short but I was exhausted at this point and only wanted to sleep, which wasn’t an option if I wanted to quickly get rid of my jet lag. 
Once we got to the hotel we checked into our rooms and then had some orientation lectures and paperwork to fill out. Orientation in general sucks, orientation when you’re jet lagged sucks even more. I was so tried and not in the mood to socialize but felt I should to be conversing with everyone. I passed out right after dinner at 9 but woke up in the middle of the night and had trouble falling back asleep. Needless to say, I was a little cranky.
Tuesday was a bit better and I was feeling much more energized. I was also super excited to get to my apartment and see where I would be living.  I also went and got my Italian cell phone! And let me tell you, it is old school. It’s one of those Nokias from when we were in like 6th grade.  It even has snake on it!  But it gets the job done and is pretty inexpensive so I’m fine with it.  I also have my iPhone but it only works when I have wireless to I’ve been leaving it in my apartment since I don’t get wireless anywhere else.
The apartment: It sucks. I hate to be such a Debbie Downer, but it does.  It’s a little farther from where everyone else lives but the main problem is that it’s SO small.  Mine and Jennifer’s (my roommate) room is a single with 2 beds, 1 small closet, and a mini table.  We couldn’t even fit our bags in the room with us.  Our common area isn’t that spacious either because the apartment is so narrow. It’s a very uncomfortable living situation and we’re trying to figure out a way to make it better but we’ll see.  It’s kinda put a damper on everything and added stress, which is NOT appreciated now.
But anyway, Tuesday night we went out and had a great time! We went to this bar called the Red Garter and then a club down the street called Twice.  Our apartment is a few blocks away so it wasn’t that bad and everyone was there. However waking up this morning for FUA (Florence University of the Arts) orientation was not as fun.
FUA orientation was probably just a boring as other ones we had but it only lasted about an hour.  I’m excited for my classes to start but am still trying to switch a few things around. 
Once I got home I passed out for 2 hours and then woke up and went to get lunch with my friends Jaclyn and Morgan.  We went to Pino’s and had AMAZING paninis. It was the first thing I ate all day and was absolutely delicious.  After that we just wandered around a little, originally trying to find the Duomo, but giving up after a while and just seeing where the road took us.  The city is so cute and everything is super small.  The streets are very narrow and we were walking in a line behind each other because we couldn’t all fit on the sidewalk. Thankfully we didn’t get too lost because with my sense of direction, we’d still be wandering the streets, probably somewhere near Rome.
So now I’m in my tiny cramped room writing to you all hooooping that this rooming thing will get sorted out soon so I can stop living out of my suitcases that are occupying the whole kitchen.  Tomorrow we’re going food shopping since the only thing in our apartment is wine... so college
Picture will be coming soon, ciao! 

No comments:

Post a Comment