Pages

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Coast to Coast

Thursday night Jaclyn and I set off on our adventure to the Amalfi Coast. We were very nervous about the weather because it was supposed to rain so on our way there we pretty much prayed that mother nature would be on our side this weekend. 
We woke up Friday morning and got read to go to Capri for the day. We took a very rocky ferry from Sorrento to Capri early in the morning giving us plenty of time to explore the city.  The first thing we did was a boat ride around the island where we were able to see the gorgeous blue water but unfortunately, the blue grotto was closed due to the high waves, which we were all very upset about. After the tour, we had free time to explore Capri. I never would have thought that Capri would have such amazing shopping! It was more like window shopping for us though because every store was designer or just super expensive.  A girl can dream though, can’t she?  We also had the opportunity to do a limoncello tasting, which allowed me to realize that I, in fact, do not like limoncello. At all. But it was still cool.  After walking around some more we headed back to Sorrento.  Capri was such a gorgeous island and I would love to take my family back there... and then have a summer house high in the mountains with a spectacular view. If it’s good enough for Armani, it’s good enough for me.  
We were planning on going our Friday night and meeting up with some of our other friends who were also staying in Sorrento but we decided that we were in desperate need of naps.  Jaclyn set the alarm for 10:15 but when it went off I told her I was too tired so she snoozed for another 5 minutes in which I grunted and turned over, clearly not wanting to budge.  She then snoozed again for another 5 minutes but this time I didn’t budge.  I woke up at about 11:30 asking Jaclyn if she was getting ready to go out and she looked at me with a very confused look. I had no recollection of what had happened! She had to explain to me what I said and did because I was clueless but she thought I was really talking to her when in fact I was sleep talking (something I NEVER do which is why it was so weird). So needless to say we didn’t make it out and ended up just going back to sleep so we could be on our game on Saturday. 
Saturday was a day of relaxation at the beach in Positano. We had time to lay on the beach, have lunch, shop, do whatever we wanted. Jaclyn and I chose to sit and have a few drinks while we tanned, chatted, and enjoyed the gorgeous view, while making friends with our waiter in the process.  We had lunch at a place called Vini Panini that made these huge cold cut sandwiches which reminded me of home.

That night, we went to a bar called the English Inn in Sorrento (where all the tourists go) and met up with our other friends studying in Florence and had a great time.
Sunday we went to Pompeii for the day. There was a tour provided for us to see all of the ruins that make up the city.  It was so fascinating and crazy too think that a city existed and then was just completely wiped out. After, we went to grab lunch and were off to climb Mount Vesuvius. Unfortunately, the weather was super foggy and we could barely see 20 feet in front of us so we weren’t able to catch that many snapshots but I managed to snag a few on our way back down.  Although to be honest, climbing the volcano was an amazing experience in itself.  We were literally in the middle of the clouds.  It also happened to be quite the workout. I was out of breath by the time I got to the top, and could already tell I would be sore this week. 

And that concluded our trip to the Amalfi Coast! It was soo beautiful and I can’t wait to come back with my family one day because it’s one of the most relaxing places I’ve been to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment