Pages

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Do as the Romans do

Raining in Rome is an understatement in terms of what would describe the weekend.  We got to our hotel, the Hotel Panda, which was in an awesome location about a block from the Spanish Steps and headed out in the rain to see Rome.  Had the weather been nice I would have loved to walk, but as Fainerz and I made our way to the Borghese museum, we were drenched and opted for a taxi– story of our weekend. Our taxi drive Paolo was super nice and dropped us off quickly although as soon as we walked in the ticket man told us we needed a reservation and that there were none left for that day.  We were a bit annoyed but didn’t want it to ruin our day so we headed to some sights that didn’t require waiting outside in the rain which included the Santa Maria Church and the Pantheon.  Both were super cool but very quick although by the time we were done, we were soaked so we went back to our hotel to dry off and lay down. 

Hannah and Megan recommended a great restaurant for us although I do have to say, I enjoyed the pizza in Florence more.  After dinner we wandered the streets of Rome trying to find the place we had chosen to meet Megan and Hannah. After asking about 15 people how to get there we finally found them and were SO happy.  We went to a shot bar where the shots were 1e and spent a while chatting and catching up.  It was so great to be able to gossip and update each other on what had been going on.  From the bar we went to a club called Gilda which was SO MUCH FUN! We danced for hours and  the club was super cool. We ended the night taking pictures on the Spanish Steps which was awesome because no one was around so we had them all to ourselves!
Saturday I woke up suuuper early to go on my tour of Vatican City.  Fainerz had already been to Rome so she didn’t want to wake up aka I was all on my own. Lord knows how I made it back alive but it happened.  I ended up going on a tour that let me cut the ridiculous line which was great because I learned a lot and didn’t have to wait in the, once again, pouring rain.  The sistine chapel and St. Peter’s Basilica were absolutely amazing.  I couldn’t believe I was actually staring at the real thing!

When I finished my tour it was still really gross out and my feel felt like they were about to fall off so I hopped in another taxi and met Fainerz at the hotel.  Although I didn’t have much time to lay down because we were meeting Hannah for lunch at Bucca di Repetti where I had delicious and much needed pasta to help me get through the rest of the day.  I left lunch early and finally got to see the Borghese followed by a rewarding nap.  

We got a late start to dinner but went to a restaurant called Gusto that was also really good, but let’s get real, it’s pretty hard to find bad food in Italy. After Gusto we went to Babel with Hannah and her friends which was this cool club that is in an old metro station. The club was awesome and I could see it being a blast when you’re headed toward blackout city but that wasn’t happening.  
Sunday was short and consisted of the Colosseum, ruins of rome, Trevi Fountain, gelato with megan, and shopping.  There aren’t that many crazy stories to report simply because Fainerz and I didn’t get to do too much wild exploring because of the rain.  Nevertheless it was still an amazing weekend and made me realize how much I love being with the people I love.  Rome is an awesome city and I definitely took it for granted which made me enjoy it that much more! I can't wait to go back.
The ruins of Rome
from inside the Colosseum
good thing I forgot to make a wish
Trevi!
However, with little time left in Florence I returned home and spent the following week seeing and doing as much as I could...that is before Thursday when I was off to the Amalfi Coast for the weekend.
Lifestyle of the Fabulous. 

No comments:

Post a Comment