Pages

Friday, February 17, 2012

Firenze is My Boyfriend

The rest of this week has been relaxed and the weather is finally starting to get nicer! I’m hoping it stays like this and isn’t just teasing. The rest of this post is pretty lengthy. Don’t feel like you need to read all of it, remember this is my journal too and I don’t wanna forget anything...
My delicious chocolate covered waffle
The chocolate came in all different shapes! Too cute to eat.
At the top of the Duomo. Words cannot describe the gorgeous view.

Thursday: Was perfect. Final. It’s safe to say I’m now obsessed with Florence.

Hannah and I made a goal to go to at least 1 museum a week while were here and yesterday was when we’d begin. We have a museum pass that gets us in most places for free, so why not use it to enjoy all the art and history Florence has to offer. Before the museum, though, we had to make a stop at the chocolate festival.

                                                                                     For those of you who know me, you also know my obsession with chocolate. It runs in the family (thanks dad). Everything looked so good. The people are so talented and crafted chocolate into almost anything you could imagine! Hannah and I both went with a chocolate covered waffle which was absolutely amazing. And dangerous. All I have to say is thank god the chocolate festival isn’t here all year round.

Once we finished devouring our fabulous chocolate we went to the Uffizi which with the use of our museum card allowed us to cut the long ass line.  The museum is absolutely gorgeous and filled with history. However it’s probably best known for housing the famous ‘Birth of Venus,’ painted by Botticelli.  There were numerous paintings throughout the museum and thanks to the fact that Hannah is taking art history, I basically got my own private tour– minus the boring and pointless facts/details those automated things tell you.

Then it was on to the Duomo...FINALLY. My friends and I have all been joking around that we were gonna be those girls who go to Florence and never climb the Duomo. Since it was absolutely gorgeous out (the first time I’ve been able to break out my leather jacket!) we decided it would be a good idea to do it. And let me tell you, it was absolutely breathtaking. The views are unreal and even though the walk up it very cramped and tiring, it’s so worth it!

When we were done and climbed back down, Hannah and I were feeling adventurous. We could take on anything at this point. I had heard of a store and wanted to go find it so we figured that would be a good thing to get done as it was only about 4:30ish and the sun was still high and shining.

We made our way to Brandy Melville, but what we didn’t know is that it’s a long haul. When we finally saw the store I was so relieved. And that relief turned into excitement and adrenaline when I realized all the great stuff they had! I had so much trouble deciding what I did and didn’t need, but when it came down to the end, every piece I bought I absolutely loved (I have a lot of love to spread so work with me here). Needless to say I walked out of there a very happy customer (although I don’t know how happy my wallet was...still not sorry).

25 minutes later we were home and I was absolutely exhausted but decided to go out to dinner with Morgan, Alexa, and Breana. After dinner we went to Bacco and Kikuya but I didn’t stay for long because I was literally falling asleep at the table. Not to mention Hannah and I were going to continue to take on the world the next day so there was much needed rest in demand.

Friday: Hannah woke me up at 11:15 and I literally wanted to die. Why is it that I’m here in Florence, the most amazing place ever, and all I want to do is sleep?! I forced myself out of bed, put on one of my new shirts :D (gives me motivation to get a move on when I look fabulous) and me Shelby (my other roommate) and I were off. 

First stop of the day was the Bargello Museum. If I wasn’t following Hannah I would have gone right past it. They don’t mark things very well here. I wasn’t ‘wowed’ by it, but was fascinated by how old many of the items were. They had stuff from the year 141C and jewelry dating back to 415C. It was insane!

Then it was time for some much needed gelato so we went to Gelato Di Neri which had been recommended to me by my big.  Big, if you’re reading this, WHY DID YOU TELL ME ABOUT THIS PLACE? I say that because it was phenomenal. I wish I didn’t remember where it was so that I wouldn’t be tempted to go back all the time!

Apres gelato I wanted to shop! We headed to the San Lorenzo leather market since I had never been there and I bought 3 scarves that I love. I was looking for a wallet when all of a sudden we found Massimo Leather! Didn’t buy anything. But not to worry, I’ll be back!

So now it’s about 2:30 and we’re running out of steam. Made our way back to our apartment where we found our landlord installing a new stove (our old one had been leaking gas). Went food shopping, made lunch, did some work. Another amazing day with beautiful weather. I can get used to this.

It goes without saying, after these perfect couple days I’ve come to realize how much I love Florence.

Its official. In the words of my ingenious big, Firenze is my boyfriend.

No comments:

Post a Comment