Pages

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Lock it Up in Interlaken

The rest of my week was thankfully low key and consisted of Jenn and I being locked in our apartment in an attempt to get better (yes, we were both sick). They also finally turned up our heat since Italy is in a state of record low temperatures. Hasn’t been this cold here since 1985, pretty much prehistoric times according to my ethics teacher.

Speaking of which, record lows in Itlaia. Not cool. Especially when 90% of my winter wardrobe is at home on Long Island in the 60 degree weather.

Anyway, back to the main point of this post...INTERLAKEN! After all the stress and havoc I dealt with earlier in the week the least I could do is give you all the low down since I know you’re probably at the edge of your seats waiting for updates...

I ended up going with everyone through Florence for Fun. We got to the train station (the meeting spot) early to get good seats on the bus but the bus wasn’t even there yet. The 8 hour drive wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be either. We got to Interlaken at like 3am and went right to bed. At 8 we had to be in the lobby to sign up for activities. Most of the girls I went with were going canyon jumping but that scared the crap out me so I decided to march to the beat of my own drum and go skydiving. I have no idea how skydiving is less scary than bungee jumping into a canyon, but to me it was. 

 (The view from our room (L) and the room that 8 of use shared (R))

SKYDIVING: hands down the most amazing thing I’ve ever done. We got to the place and had to wait since the helicopter could only let 2 people go at a time. After the first group of girls went there was a serious cloud cover so we had to wait about an hour for the sky to clear up. so anti climactic, but it was worth it. We drove to the helicopter and once it took off I realized what I was actually doing. I started freaking out and at one point almost cried. Once my friend Vera jumped out we inched toward the ledge of the helicopter.  I was looking out and could see the tops of the mountains below me!  Almost like slow motion, my gaze started going down and I felt myself tipping out of the helicopter. There was a rush and I could feel my stomach drop for about a second and then all I felt was the wind coming at me and my body free falling into the clouds.  I had to fight to keep my mouth closed, the wind was so strong. After probably a good 30 seconds (thats A LOT) the parachute deployed.  I can’t even begin to explain the feeling of relief that set in when I realized I was, in fact, not going to die. I was able to steer the parachute for a while and enjoy the breathtaking sights of the mountains, covered in snow. When we landed the first thing I shouted was ‘I’m alive!’ (you can hear me say it on my video). Writing this now I still can’t believe I did it. Worth every penny and I would do it again in a heartbeat!
[pre skydiving and rockin' the jumpsuit (R)]
 [screaming at the top of my lungs and terrified (R)]
 [steering the parachute over Interlaken. Pictures really don't do it justice though. You'll need to try it yourself! (L)]
 [happy to still be alive! (R)]


That night we went to a chocolate tasting, which was delicious, and then had cheese fondue for dinner back at the hostel. It was an early night since most of us were exhausted and running on about 4 hours of sleep.

The next day a few of us went on an optional day trip to Bern, the administrative capital of Switzerland.  It was an adorable little town, but soooo cold which made it hard to walk around. However we did make it to Albert Einstein’s apartment where he created most of his theories and formulas which was cool. 
 [Einstein's apartment!]

Saturday night we went to the club at Balmer’s (hostel across the street). It was tons of fun and we all dance like crazy. The place was PACKED and we were not expecting that at all.  After we went to this little pizza shop that looked gross but tasted ah-mazing. I probably could have eaten a whole pie myself.

Sunday we went to breakfast as Utopia. The woman who owns it is from New York and has bagels and veggie cream cheese.  Perfect for the morning after and made me feel like I was home. It was so good that we went back later to get food for the bus ride. The morning was dedicated to wandered around Interlaken and then getting on the bus at 3:30 for another 8 hour drive home.  

 [goodbye Switz. hopefully we'll meet again!]

I was sad to leave on Sunday.  This weekend awesome and great way to start the traveling that (hopefully) will occur most weekends.  It was also (hopefully) the most expensive which also makes me glad I did it early on so I could do everything I wanted.  I don’t even want to know how much my credit card bill is going to be. But like I said, worth every penny.

I love it here in Florence, but I love traveling more and being able to come back to this adorable city that I now call home.

That’s about it for now! I’ll try to post later in the week before the weekends festivities (Carnivale and a wine tasting in Tuscany)!

No comments:

Post a Comment